Yarn Used: Patons® Classic Wool Worsted in Burgundy and Grey? (not sure about this colorway since it was knitted from yarn I already had and no longer have the label for it)
Project Details: This pattern Fair Isle Headband by Jane Stringer is a free Ravelry download and really a good project to start knitting Fair Isle. This is a fourteen stitch and fifteen round repeat pattern that can be knitted within a week. Next time I will knit two extra rounds of ribbing since the ribbing was curling up before I blocked the earwarmer.
This is my first time knitting Fair Isle and I wanted a small project to practice it. I still need to work on carrying my floats in the back (missed one in the lower right section of the second image) and knitting without tangling the two strands of yarn. It was a straightforward project with no increases or decreases in the pattern and a great introduction to Fair Isle knitting.
A season to knit earwarmers
- They are quick knits making them great holiday gifts.
- Learn or practice new and more complex stitch patterns (eg. Fair Isle) before investing time on a bigger knitting project with that particular stitch pattern.
- Can be knitted flat and then seamed or can be knitted seamless and in the round. The pattern is the same bottom up or top down.
- One skein (200 yards) of yarn is enough to make 2 or more earwarmers. Great for using leftover yarn.
- Can be knit with any type or weight of yarn.
- Good for keeping your ears warm in the winter without messing up your hair.